The importance of site maps and floor plans
- Posted by Push Adventures
- On August 4, 2022
- 0 Comments
- 3d map, accessible, floorplan, inclusive, interactive, map, site map, tourism
Maps are an integral part of supporting an accessible experience, but what details should you include help the accessible travel community be confident in participating?
Here’s a few things to consider;
- Distances between key attractions/areas
- Variances in elevation
- Difference is surfaces
- Water fountains
Why are these details so important?
- they help your visitors get orientated with your experience
- they help your visitors to navigate their way around your experience and know where the amenities are
- they help your visitors make preparations to enjoy your experience, for example wearing the right footwear or bringing water or bringing a companion
- they build confidence.
This map of the Australian National Botanic Gardens (image to the right) is a good example. The details about the Summit Walk are really helpful. The amenities, steps and bridges are clearly labelled.
Print vs digital maps, which is better?
Short answer is, both!
Enabling choice for your visitors is critical to running an accessible business, as choices enable visitors to pick the option that best suits their needs.
We are working in a world that is conscious of running an environmentally friendly operation, and as such many operators have decided to forgo a printed map, however I encourage you to keep some on hand for visitors that specifically request it. Especially if have a large site or you are in an area with low Wi-Fi coverage.
Large print or braille maps also support participation by the wider community.
3D and interactive maps
Paradise Resort Gold Coast have a good example of an interactive map and 3d mapping.
The floorplan below from Captur3d shows some of the possibilities from using 3d scanning technology. Room sizes, door widths and width on the side of the bed are some of the key details that the accessible travel community may look for. This technology does it all for you.
If you’re in the process of updating your site maps or floorplans, aim to include as much detail as possible!